ant-dev mailing list archives

From Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>
Subject [patch] FTP.java - adding support for new features in commons-net 1.4.0 and performance improvement
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 18:19:05 GMT
Hi!

Attached is a patch for the optional FTP task. It addresses the
following issues:
1. support for new features in upcoming commons-net 1.4.0 release:
     * possibility to customize date format parsing
     * possibility to specify server timezone
     * * possibility to specify custom month name strings
Example:
<ftp>
<configuration recentDateFormatStr="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm"
defaultDateFormatStr="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm" serverTimeZoneId="Europe/Oslo"
shortMonthNames="01|02|03|04|05|06|07|08|09|10|11|12"/>
</ftp>

Currently this is implemented as a child element, to make the
implementation "modular". However, as there is no real benefit in adding
more than one configuration element, it could also be turned into
attributes directly on the <ftp> task.

2. this part of the patch addresses the issue brought up earlier by
Pierre Grimaud (pierre_grimaud@hotmail.com): the speed of FTP task in
the case of long directory listings. I sped it up by listing the
(parent) directories instead of individual files and caching the listings.

Currently it lacks the configuration option to turn this functionality
off, as I was not sure if this option is needed and if it should be on
or off by default. Trivial to add, anyway.

Both of these changes do not have any unit tests as after having a
glance at the FTP task unit test it seemed quite complex and I figured
that maybe it is easier for you to add those tests. I guess adding tests
is relevant only for the new functionality.

Also, I didn't include patches for documentation as I'm not sure if this
implementation is final or if you would like to refactor it into some
other form.

Let me know what you think of this all!

Rgds,
Neeme