ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <>
Subject RE: [Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Commons-Net 1.4.0 Released]
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 15:48:43 GMT
> From: Steve Cohen []

> Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> > Why not move the task or its new version into jakerta-commons and
> > provide us with a ready to go feature full antlib. That
> would allow us
> > to start decoupling
> > things from the main ANT release.
> >
> > Jose Alberto
> >

> I have not been as active in Ant circles as in the past.  Is
> decoupling
> now a strategic priority for Ant?  Can you please provide me
> with more
> details, examples?  I'd be happy to use that approach if that's the
> direction the community is taking.  I think it's a good idea.

My point here is that Ant's <ftp/> will not be re-release until the next
release of Ant, God knows when. If you want the new features to be
available sooner
it may be a better idea the have the new task as part of jakarta-commons
or some
pluggable jar that can be released faster.

We are all under Apache so borrowing from the current code should be no
issue (am I wrong?).
We can then point people to the new <ftp> task provided by commons.

We may talk about cross-distribution later as we are all under apache,
but maybe a
link in our documentation to yours will be good enough. As to how define
the antlib
is almost trivial :-)

Jose Alberto

To unsubscribe, e-mail: