ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Weighill-Smith" <phil.weighill-sm...@volantis.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTasks echoxml.html
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 18:29:39 GMT
It might be nice if you went for option 3 *and* 4 (but not cumbersome!). More than one "root"
element forces no XML declaration and an option to allow the encoding to be specified for
the output of the XML document/fragment when the encoding is different from the one of the
enclosing Ant script.

Phil :n)

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Matt Benson [mailto:gudnabrsam@yahoo.com]
	Sent: Wed 25/05/2005 18:40
	To: Ant Developers List
	Subject: Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTasks echoxml.html

	--- Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
	> --- Phil Weighill Smith
	> <phil.weighill-smith@volantis.com> wrote:
	> > More along the lines of will it work with
	> something
	> > like:
	> >
	> > <echoxml>
	> >     <example>
	> >         <document/>
	> >     </example>
	> >     <with>
	> >         <more than="one root node"/>
	> >     </with>
	> > </echoxml>
	>
	> ha, no, but it should, and will...

	Hmm.  Currently the task is only writing the first
	child as the root element of the output XML document,
	and including the XML declaration.  AFAIK a
	non-well-formed fragment should forego the
	declaration.  If so, we can do one of the following:

	1) Disallow > 1 direct child of <echoxml>
	2) Always write fragments, skipping the declaration.
	3) Automatically include the declaration when there
	   is only one direct child element.
	4) Add some sort of cumbersome configuration options.

	XML not being my forte, I can say that 2) is simplest.
	 What say any XML gurus out there?

	-Matt