ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: <libraries> and m2 <artifact :>
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 22:51:19 GMT
I don't think I'm high jacking this thread too much...

Has anyone ever given thought to non-Java artifacts management by an
auto-downloader service?

The reason I'm asking is that here, we have tons of Java code, but also
tons of native code. The two are often linked using JNI.

I've developed my own auto-downloading stuff, with dependencies
declaration, transitive dependency resolution, etc... We have our own
repository layout (fixed), and our own format for artifacts, which is
multi-file. There are at least two files: a .properties equivalent to a
POM, kinda, and a .zip with a well defined internal layout, with dirs
like jar/, classes/, sdk/src.zip, sdk/include/, sdk/lib, etc...

But there can be optional, platform-specific files, for the binaries
(JNI .dll/.so, in bin/${os}, but also sdk/lib/${os} for .a or .lib).
When downloading an artifact, if the .properties declares this artifact
has native code associated, the binary .zip (same format as the
cross-platform .zip. The two are merged together at extract) is also
downloaded.

Currently it's fixed to these files, but I was thinking of adding the
possibility to have other files, like a .zip for the Javadocs, or
separate the SDK stuff (C/C++ includes files, static libs, etc...) out
of the main 2 .zip and into a separate SDK zip (or zips if
multi-platform with binaries).

So my question is basically whether <libraries> and/or m2 <artifact:>
(of which I know nothing) will ever support such non-pure-Java scenario?
Perhaps if not supported out of the box, be pluggable so I can develop
my own strategies for repo layout, .zip extraction, etc? Currently, my
home grown stuff works, but it's neither pretty, nor will it be easy for
the next guy to support it, since s/he wouldn't have grown it
organically over several months like I did.

Or am I so out of the main stream Java world that I'll never be able to
use future standard tools like <libraries> and/or m2 <artifact:>? --DD