ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Environment and PropertySet
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 15:14:33 GMT
> From: Matt Benson [mailto:gudnabrsam@yahoo.com]
>
> My reason for wanting to nest the propertyset into a
> regular <env> element is that these are passed by
> <exec> and <java (w/ forking)> to an Environment
> object.  This means that if the code is added to
> Environment, so that:
>
> <exec executable="foo">
>   <env>
>     <propertyset|whatever name we want here
> refid="foo.properties" />
>   </env>
> </exec>
>
> Any user of Environment.Variable (exec should be the
> paradigm) automatically supports propertysets.  If
> this  nesting approach--with whatever element name,
> although I tend to use the add(...) IH methods--is
> acceptable in general, I have got this working
> already.

I see your point Matt. Easy and painless to implement. From the user
perspective though, it overloads the meaning of <env>, and departs from
what was done with <sysproperty> + <syspropertyset>.

So I'm not against your proposal, but I don't think it's the best UI for
this feature. But since I'm just the talker and not the doer, it's your
opinion and the community's as a whole that should prevail, not my own
opinion. The feature itself may be more important than it's UI?! --DD