ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/OptionalTasks ftp.html
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 23:18:09 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:
> scohen@apache.org wrote:
>
>> scohen      2005/05/29 17:40:21
>>
>>   Modified:    src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/net
>>                         FTPTest.java
>>                src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/net
>> FTP.java
>>                src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/net ftp.xml
>>                docs/manual/OptionalTasks ftp.html
>>   Added:       src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/util Retryable.java
>>                         RetryHandler.java
>>   Log:
>>   Based on a patch submitted by Neeme Praks, allow support for a retry
>> count on FTP transfers.  Some
>>   servers are unreliable for unknown - this allows for a retry count
>> to be specified to accomodate work on such
>>   flaky servers.
>

> nice. Are you doing any kind of back-off algorithm to deal with load
> problems? If so, add a bit of jitter to increase the randomness. (I
> remember an embedded system without back-off but not jitter failing to
> deal with the situation of an entire building with 120+ nodes having its
> power toggled...)
>
> -steve

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.  By "jitter", are you referring to
varying the time delay?  I asked Neeme Praks why he didn't put in a time
delay and he said he didn't need one.  In his use case, he simply sets
it up to run forever, and that works for him.  Eventually it succeeds.
But I wonder about this.  Sounds like it could be a tight loop that eats
all processing under the wrong conditions.

And I'm not sure at all what you mean by a "back-off algorithm".

So please elaborate.