ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [offtopic] jspc?
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 11:46:31 GMT
Kev Jackson wrote:

> Is there any benefit at all from running jspc before building the war?

As it has been said before, it serves 2 folds: making sure that your jsp
compile (better catch it now than in production...but of course you have
thorough functional tests :) and saves the hassle of the first hit in
your container. Some folks use it creatively when they want to hide
their jsp layer as well. The jsp are all compiled and obfuscated and all
the .jsp files are zero'ed

> I'm coming down on the side of useless except for catching JSP errors
> before deployment, but is that even the case?
>
> Also I'm fairly certain that there was a comment recently about the
> jspc being not exactly great (broken across different java versions IIRC)

You have to use Tomcat Jasper task to compile. The task sucks big time
however and is not flexible in the selection.
Be careful to name your fragment as .jspf or .inc or whatever suites you
so that jspc does not try to compile them.  (if you use jasper to compile)

Depending on how many jsp you have you may also realise that the
jsp->java process takes an awful long time.
I have had about 450 jsps to compile, the jsp->java was taking ~12
minutes on a P4 1.7GHz which is all but decent.
Compilation itself of these files was performed in about a 1 minute.

I profiled Jasper and realized that it is a bit brute force..basically
if you have an include in 450 jsps it will be parsed 450 times.
So things get worse when you have include of include of include. Your
taglibs xml files will also be parsed 450 times..
I tried to investigate and started to have decent results but due to
lack of time it is still in my todo list.