ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [offtopic] jspc?
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 09:09:24 GMT
Kev Jackson wrote:
> Quick question
>
> I'm working on a rather boring web app with Spring/Hibernate etc (insert
> current fad in Java Web Frameworks here).  And I was just browsing
> around and saw jspc, and I remembered that there was an ant task..
>
> Is there any benefit at all from running jspc before building the war?
>
> I'm coming down on the side of useless except for catching JSP errors
> before deployment, but is that even the case?

1. dont use the ant version, use the tomcat one, if you must use any
2. its only good for validating stuff
3. httpunit tests on a running system are much better, though they may
miss out on compiling hard-to-reach pages (like some error reporting pages).

> Also I'm fairly certain that there was a comment recently about the jspc
> being not exactly great (broken across different java versions IIRC)
>
> Any experiences worth relating?
>
> One interesting note is that I've discovered that jikes + Java5 runtime
> produces code that runs fine on WebLogic 8.1 (jrockit 1.4), but javac +
> Java5 runtime produces code that breaks inexplicably on the same
> jrockit.  Note I'm not using any new Java5 features, so the compiler
> doesn't have to be Java5 aware

I guess that means we should keep using javac1.4 for releases for some time.