ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject http tasks
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 09:12:52 GMT
Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Nice. I like it! If we ever get round to finishing
>>the httpPost task in
>>the sandbox, we have a Rest client system :)
>>

> So what, exactly, do these need?

what they really need is a functional test harness. I had some .pl code
up on iseran.com that tested a bit of it, but we should really create a
WAR and bring it up in Jetty or something.

The reason I stopped working on it (only temporary, but I got
distracted) was that java1.2 vs 1.3 had differently broken java.net stuff.

ex.

-multi cookie support
-automatic markdown of content-length attribute if the size of the
received message is < content-length header in some circumstances (small
packets, i think)
-bad handling of error pages. Depending on the ending of the file, you
either got the text or an exception.

All of these really hurt us at at work; for #2 and #3 we had to modify
the RESTy bits of our app with an X-ContentLength and X-ErrorCode
headers, because java.net.HttpUrl was interfering with the W3C versions.

If we do finish the stuff off, we should say "Java1.4+ only".

-steve