ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shut down the 1.6 branch after 1.6.5
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 08:36:50 GMT

>>Unfortunately there's no simple fix.
>>

>Sure.  Kill branches as soon as possible so we don't need a process
>for dealing with them.

ok, so then maintaining the branch becomes a trivial exercise "after 2*
months it's dead and new code is always in HEAD and you don't have to
migrate it to the branch) *arbitrary figure

>>Obviously Ant doesn't have a full-time SCM manager/release manager
>>and this may be
>>

>Let me take a bit of pressure out of this.
>
>Every committer has taken the responsibility to merge or not merge
>changes into the branch on him/herself.  A process where the
>(volunteer) release manager had to approve each merge simply wouldn't
>scale IMHO.

Ok I can see why there isn't a "release manager" as such based on the
amount of effort it would be to track the changes, it would also be a
thankless task if there was one!

>Also note that the Ant PMC is responible for the releases, not the
>release manager.
>
>I know that you know that and didn't mean to imply anything else

Well actually I didn't know that - so thanks for informing me ;).  Ok
kidding I knew the PMC was ultimately responsible for the release

>(in
>particular I deliberately took the quote out of context), just wanted
>to stress my POV again.

No worries - I've got some boring docs to write here, so I'm more than
willing to discuss something "extra-curricular" than get on with my real
work...

Kev