ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Shut down the 1.6 branch after 1.6.5
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 08:03:55 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>Hi,
>
>it's my strong belief that part of the reason the javah and move bugs
>made it into 1.6.3 is that our branches are living too long.  The same
>happened to 1.5.2 (which required 1.5.3 quickly) because the 1.5
>branch lived to long (IMHO).
>
>In my day-to-day Ant usage I use CVS HEAD, all the time, exclusively.
>Sometimes I merge changes into the 1.6 branch without merging the unit
>tests as well.  Sometimes I don't merge changes at all.  Sometimes I
>forget to pull a change from the branch when it has been pulled from
>HEAD ...

If I read this correctly, you're saying that the number of bugs
increases when there's a long period of time between branches, mainly
because it's difficult to test the branch properly as most (if not all)
of the committers use HEAD. (sorry if that's pretty obvious, but I want
to be sure of what you're saying).  It'd be interesting to see if other
open source projects experience the same situation.

Based on this...

+1 (my not quite 2p's worth)

>I bet, other committers have similar experiences.
>
>It's not enough to say users don't beta-test our releases, in all
>honesty, after X.Y.1 or maybe X.Y.2 we don't even alpha-test them
>sufficiently ourselves.

Rather we are busy testing the HEAD instead.

>This leads me to the subject of this vote.  Let's get rid of the
>branch, stabelize CVS HEAD and release 1.7.0-beta in a reasonable
>time-frame.
>
>Cheers
>
>        Stefan
>
>PS: I also intend to start a vote that branches shouldn't live as long
>as the 1.5 and 1.6 branches did but we do new releases from HEAD more
>quickly.  This will wait until this vote has been decided.

Been busy and 1.6.4 - 1.6.5 was a big shock, I remember the vote for
1.6.3 (last week wasn't it!) ;)

Kev