ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] include FTP task revisions in 1.6.4 release
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 19:24:38 GMT
Steve Cohen wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> Steve Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> Shall the newly added FTP task revisions be incorporated into release
>>> 1.6.4?
>>>
>>> Motivation:
>>> I understand this comes in "under the wire" and may cause justifiable
>>> trepidation among some.  I still favor adding it to the release because:
>>>
>>> 1)  The tasks add some important new capabilities (in order of
>>> importance):
>>>    a) the ability for the "newer" attribute to recognize timezone
>>> differences between client and server
>>>    b) the ability to handle the "all-numeric" timestamp format that
>>> some unixes (Debian for example) are now shipping with.
>>>    c) the ability to handle legacy systems that still use
>>> locale-specific timestamp formatting (becoming rare but still
>>> encountered).
>>> Documentation of the new features has also been checked in.
>>>
>>> 2) Care has been taken to avoid adding new dependency requirements to
>>> Ant.  The new features require commons-net-1.4.0 and the task cannot be
>>> compiled without it, but users with an earlier version of commons-net
>>> can still use the task exactly as before.  Existing scripts will
>>> function exactly as before.
>>> 3) Just to reiterate - in spite of earlier postings the the contrary,
>>> including this in release 1.6.4 WOULD NOT REQUIRE USERS TO UPGRADE
>>> COMMONS-NET.  This has been tested against commons-net-1.2.2 (the
>>> previous recommended system) and all tests passed.
>>>
>>> My vote:
>>>

>> -1
>>
>> I dont think I've -1'd anything before, at least not in recent memory.
>> Here is my thinking
>>
>> (a) 1.6.4 is an emergency release to fix some defects that didnt show
>> up during beta testing
>

> Fair enough.
>

>> (b) any feature added now would go into the release without beta
>> testing. It runs the risk of breaking.
>

> Fair enough, although it's worth repeating that existing tests that test
> existing functionality do not break, either with the old commons-net lib
> or the new.
>

>> (c) We'd be effectively obliged to maintain the API forever. Its good
>> to use something in a few of your own build files first to see what
>> works, and what doesnt.
>

> What is there about this API compared to any others that Ant is obliged
> to maintain that you don't like?  This objection is meaningless and
> insulting.  These features have been extensively tested in commons-net.

Sorry. I dont mean commons-net API changes. What I meant was "any new
attributes/methods added to ant tasks need to be preserved for eternity,
so its good to get them right".

> Commons-net is under the jakarta umbrella with an active team of
> developers.  Meanwhile Ant "maintains" APIs adapting it to various
> commercial products for which it has no serious maintainers.  I myself
> maintained the <starteam> tasks for Ant for as long as I had a job that
> gave me access to a StarTeam server. (late 2003).
>
> Looking back through CVS at the entire starteam package I find one
> substantive change made in a year and a half (a NPE fix).  There have
> been no enhancements, and nothing but boilerplate changes.  Okay,
> there's probably not too much demand for those tasks and, at any rate,
> no one has stepped forward.  But please don't put jakarta-commons-net
> into that bag.

It wasnt intended to. ftp, telnet, rexec, are core, even though I think
SSH is safer. FTP and telnet are far more common.

> If I sound a little resentful, it's because these changes were designed
> by me specifically with Ant in mind.  I resisted suggestions from others
> that would have implemented these changes in fashions that were less
> compatible with Ant.  Now this effort seems to be being treated as an
> unwanted intrusion.

No, no no, I am grateful for the changes. We get a lot of grief about
<Ftp> not handling different countries/tz/platforms, and the stuff in
there is welcome. Its just I think that an immediate relase of them to
end users, just because we are doing a no-beta-test-planned release next
week is too premature.

-steve