ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual install.html
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 01:27:17 GMT
Steve Cohen wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> On 12 May 2005, <scohen@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>>  +    For all users, a minimum version of commons-net of 1.4.0 is now
>>> required.
>>

>> Is this really true?
>>
>> I understand it is required to compile <ftp> or if you use one of
>> the new features.  But if you use <ftp> the same way you did
>> before and use a binary installation of Ant, 1.2.x should work as
>> well, not?
>>
>> Stefan

> You are correct, sir.  It won't compile but it will run against the
> older jar, as long as the new functionalities are not called.  I forget
> that not everyone wants to build ant :-).
>
> The existing tests can be run successfully if you ignore the errors. You
> see, Antoine, your tests have already proven their value!
>
> I will revise this documentation, and also change the code to output a
> more meaningful error message if anyone tries to use the new features
> with an older jar.

Nope, spoke too soon.  I wasn't running against what I thought I was.
With commons-net-1.2.2 jar, the bad import statement makes the test
constructor throw.

This is so ugly.

I wonder if I could do a Class.forName(), and if it doesn't throw, I
know I can use reflection to do the new stuff, and avoid importing the
new class.

This is so ugly.