ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual install.html
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 00:47:11 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 12 May 2005, <scohen@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>  +    For all users, a minimum version of commons-net of 1.4.0 is now required.
>

> Is this really true?
>
> I understand it is required to compile <ftp> or if you use one of
> the new features.  But if you use <ftp> the same way you did
> before and use a binary installation of Ant, 1.2.x should work as
> well, not?
>
> Stefan

You are correct, sir.  It won't compile but it will run against the
older jar, as long as the new functionalities are not called.  I forget
that not everyone wants to build ant :-).

The existing tests can be run successfully if you ignore the errors.
You see, Antoine, your tests have already proven their value!

I will revise this documentation, and also change the code to output a
more meaningful error message if anyone tries to use the new features
with an older jar.