ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <>
Subject Re: AW: [patch] - adding support for new features in com mons-net 1.4.0 and performance improvement
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 05:25:44 GMT
Steve Cohen wrote:

> wrote:
>>> Since there is apparently an Ant 1.6.4 version coming out on May
>>> 19th and since Neeme Praks has already submitted a patch to
>>> accomodate it, why not try to get this into that release?  As the
>>> author of the commons-net code that Mr. Praks is relying on, and an
>>> Ant committer, I would be happy to take a look at his code and
>>> "sponsor" it for the 1.6.4 release.
>>> I realize that there may be other deadlines here.  What do other Ant
>>> committers think?
>>> Steve Cohen
>> If the tests pass - why not?  :-)
>> Jan
> I realize that the discussion has moved well beyond this point, but I
> wanted to discuss "the tests" and what is meant by that.
> I think you mean, in this case,
> /src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/net/,
> right?
> I have applied the latest revised patch from Neeme Praks with a few
> modifications.  We had a couple of iterations as I explained to him
> the way I thought the task should work, and he has coded it to those
> specifications, including only support for the new commons-net
> features and not including the retry and speedup improvements from his
> original patch which need more study.
> The tests mentiuned above all passed, once I changed
> /src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/net/ftp.xml so that the
> "ftp.password" property was redefined as my password on my system.
> The original had a password of "sunshine".  Without that change all
> the tests failed.
Of course this is OK. I wrote this test, and I entered a phony password
in the ftp.xml file. The idea is that the tester can run the test with a

> Is that the recommended practice for this test?  Or is the test
> assuming  some particular ftp server configuration that most servers
> have and my system does not?  (I do not normally turn an ftp server on
> on my system and just accepted the default).
> Assuming that all the above is correct, I am satisfied that the code
> breaks nothing and am therefore committing it.
> However, it does seem to me that this test case is rather incomplete,
> and could be beefed up in several ways to test these and other recent
> features of commons-net which are not being tested here.
Feel free to expand this test. I created this test to check that the
pattern selection features of the ftp task work, when I refactored it.

> I guess what I am asking is what the scope of these tests is.  Who
> runs them, when, and how?  (Do they change the password as I had to?).
I believe almost no one runs these tests, except committers who are
changing the ftp task. To make this test work in gump, there would be
the need to install on the gump machine a standard ftp server used to
run the tests.

> I've also committed install.html to indicate that from here forward,
> >= 1.4.0 is required.
If 1.4.0 is required, is it not a big constraing for the
1.6.4 release ?

> I am working on revised manual page for the ftp task which has
> optional new attributes but I want to tweak that a bit more.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message