ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: AW: [patch] FTP.java - adding support for new features in com mons-net 1.4.0 and performance improvement
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 04:06:54 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>>Neeme Praks wrote:
>>
>>>Ok, commons-net 1.4.0 has been released now.
>>>How can we proceed?
>>>

>>Since there is apparently an Ant 1.6.4 version coming out on May 19th
>>and since Neeme Praks has already submitted a patch to accomodate it,
>>why not try to get this into that release?  As the author of the
>>commons-net code that Mr. Praks is relying on, and an Ant
>>committer, I
>>would be happy to take a look at his code and "sponsor" it
>>for the 1.6.4
>>release.
>>
>>I realize that there may be other deadlines here.  What do other Ant
>>committers think?
>>
>>Steve Cohen
>

> If the tests pass - why not?  :-)
>
> Jan

I realize that the discussion has moved well beyond this point, but I
wanted to discuss "the tests" and what is meant by that.

I think you mean, in this case,
/src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/net/FTPTest.java,
right?

I have applied the latest revised patch from Neeme Praks with a few
modifications.  We had a couple of iterations as I explained to him the
way I thought the task should work, and he has coded it to those
specifications, including only support for the new commons-net features
and not including the retry and speedup improvements from his original
patch which need more study.

The tests mentiuned above all passed, once I changed
/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/optional/net/ftp.xml so that the
"ftp.password" property was redefined as my password on my system.  The
original had a password of "sunshine".  Without that change all the
tests failed.

Is that the recommended practice for this test?  Or is the test assuming
  some particular ftp server configuration that most servers have and my
system does not?  (I do not normally turn an ftp server on on my system
and just accepted the default).

Assuming that all the above is correct, I am satisfied that the code
breaks nothing and am therefore committing it.

However, it does seem to me that this test case is rather incomplete,
and could be beefed up in several ways to test these and other recent
features of commons-net which are not being tested here.

I guess what I am asking is what the scope of these tests is.  Who runs
them, when, and how?  (Do they change the password as I had to?).

I've also committed install.html to indicate that from here forward,
commons.net >= 1.4.0 is required.

I am working on revised manual page for the ftp task which has optional
new attributes but I want to tweak that a bit more.