ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Native code Was: <libraries> and m2 <artifact :>
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 12:17:26 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
> I don't think I'm high jacking this thread too much...
>
> Has anyone ever given thought to non-Java artifacts management by an
> auto-downloader service?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that here, we have tons of Java code, but also
> tons of native code. The two are often linked using JNI.
>
> I've developed my own auto-downloading stuff, with dependencies
> declaration, transitive dependency resolution, etc... We have our own
> repository layout (fixed), and our own format for artifacts, which is
> multi-file. There are at least two files: a .properties equivalent to a
> POM, kinda, and a .zip with a well defined internal layout, with dirs
> like jar/, classes/, sdk/src.zip, sdk/include/, sdk/lib, etc...
>
> But there can be optional, platform-specific files, for the binaries
> (JNI .dll/.so, in bin/${os}, but also sdk/lib/${os} for .a or .lib).
> When downloading an artifact, if the .properties declares this artifact
> has native code associated, the binary .zip (same format as the
> cross-platform .zip. The two are merged together at extract) is also
> downloaded.
>
> Currently it's fixed to these files, but I was thinking of adding the
> possibility to have other files, like a .zip for the Javadocs, or
> separate the SDK stuff (C/C++ includes files, static libs, etc...) out
> of the main 2 .zip and into a separate SDK zip (or zips if
> multi-platform with binaries).

Are you thinking of build time or deploy-time?

I think JNLP has platform specific stuff in there, it just doesnt work
off the shared repository.

Eclipse uses the OGSi packages which are Zip files with extra stuff in,
native stuff included. There is some appeal there to me, as the download
archive can be signed even while the contents arent. And there is some
more package proposals at the W3C, but I am avoiding those. Once you
start worrying about package standards, you end up in the politics of
system management as fought out in standards bodies, oh yes.

The mail list repository@apache.org is where people interested in
repository stuff can talk about it.

-steve