ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <libraries> and m2 <artifact :>
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 15:32:44 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On 5/5/05, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>At the same time, I've been playing with the M2 artifact tasks. They
>>still need some work
>

> Yep, this is certainly true.
>

>>  -NPE if you omit an artifact
>

> I'm not sure what you mean here exactly - bad ID on the dependencies?

If I declare a dependency and leave artifactID blank, I'd have expected
the groupID to be used as the artifactID, instead I get an NPE.

> Validation of the task parameters was something I was a bit lazy with
> when I put this together for the first go around.
>

> My particular concern is the current size of the library... I need to
> do some work to reduce the dependencies of the artifact library itself
> (which has been on the list a while, but since we're more in feature
> mode it has been left until the June release).
>

>>I am thinking of stopping all work on <libraries>, embracing the maven2
>>stuff instead. Here is my rationale
>>  -projects can start using the maven2 tasks today.
>

> I think this is a good idea - I'm sure we can cover the requirements
> of both sets of users and spend the extra effort adding the nicer
> features and necessary polish.

It also lets me use it today in all my projects, even the stuff that
needs to run on ant1.6.2+

>>  -the m2 stuff can implement transitive dependencies (if not already done)
>

> this already works, and we've got a few features planned to improve on
> this for the June release which we are just starting to get down on
> "paper" rather than in various people's heads :)
>

>>  -maybe even PGP validation (which needs bouncy castle jar)
>

> yeah, I definitely would like to see that happening. Like the ant
> tasks themselves, it seems like something we've been talking about
> forever and never had that right opportunity.
>

>>  -and maybe httpclient over the fairly brittle java.net code
>

> This is a change that can be made at runtime - we have both httpclient
> and URLConnection based providers for HTTP.
>

>>  -ability to update outside the ant dev schedule
>

> What are your thoughts on the distribution of this? Continue from
> where it is in Maven, from Ant, or some other shared area? I guess
> there is a question applies to separate antlibs in general - would
> they also be bundled as optionals inside an Ant distribution, or is
> there some mechanism for getting and installing them?

I'm happy for them to be in maven, especially if there is shared code
with the rest of your stuff. One thing we dont have is an easy way to
download and install antlibs...

> Anyway, this sounds really good to me. Let me know if I can do
> anything to help.
>
> We've got a release coming up (though because the ant tasks cropped up
> mid cycle, it won't be a lot different this time around), but if there
> are any major gotchas that should be fixed before then, now would be a
> good time to fix them. I'll try and take a look at the validation in
> particular.

Do you have any tests for the tasks yet? That is something I can assist
with :)

-steve