ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject SVN cheap copies for tags and branches
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 22:14:14 GMT
When I CVS update my ANT_16 branch of Ant, from the top-level, I get
only changes for this branch.

On the other hand, when I SVN update at the top-level, I get all tags,
branches, etc... That's more than I need, frankly! I understand that
SVN tags and branches are in fact just cheap copies, and more a naming
convention than anything else, nevertheless I still end up with more
that interest me.

To be more explicit, I got dotnet/branches/ant_1.6.2_compatible and
dotnet/tags/preview_20041022 when really only dotnet/trunk interest
me.

In other words, as far as I know and given the conventions of putting
trunk / tags / branches in each sub-project, there's no way to quickly
and easily update from the top-level to get only trunks for
everything. I'm still very new at SVN, so maybe I'm missing something.

Also, SVN copies may be cheap on the server, but are they really cheap
on the client. Our SVN repo is still young, but when we'll have many
tags/branches of the whole Core tree when it's all in SVN, how many
copies of Ant would one get when updating from the top level? Does the
client use hard-links to not put N times the same file on the disk?
Probably not.

We currently have antlibs, core, and sandbox top level SVN dirs. If
trunk / tags / branches was at this level, then that would be 3 SVN
updates to get the latest of trunk only. But with trunk / tags /
branches in antlibs/* and sandbox/antlibs/*, pretty soon that will be
dozens of SVN updates to get only trunk changes, no?

I hope I'm just not seing the obvious. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks, --DD