ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTasks echoxml.html
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 17:40:56 GMT

--- Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Phil Weighill Smith
> <phil.weighill-smith@volantis.com> wrote:
> > More along the lines of will it work with
> something
> > like:
> >
> > <echoxml>
> >     <example>
> >         <document/>
> >     </example>
> >     <with>
> >         <more than="one root node"/>
> >     </with>
> > </echoxml>
>
> ha, no, but it should, and will...

Hmm.  Currently the task is only writing the first
child as the root element of the output XML document,
and including the XML declaration.  AFAIK a
non-well-formed fragment should forego the
declaration.  If so, we can do one of the following:

1) Disallow > 1 direct child of <echoxml>
2) Always write fragments, skipping the declaration.
3) Automatically include the declaration when there
   is only one direct child element.
4) Add some sort of cumbersome configuration options.

XML not being my forte, I can say that 2) is simplest.
 What say any XML gurus out there?

-Matt