ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant Jar doubt
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:22:26 GMT
Raja Nagendra Kumar wrote:

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>When ever we jar I see in the manifest 'Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.2'
>
> this
>
>>>line. Could any one tell me how to avoid this.
>>
>>I dont know if there is a way to do this (yet)
>>

> Is there any custom tasks written by any one which could be used for this
> purpose.

You should be able to use the <zip> task and place your manifest in
manually.

>>>And also I want to put few
>>>properties of mine in a way the squence of these properties are
>
> maintinated
>
>>>in manifest. My observation here is sqence is altered.

The manifest code will maintain the order of sections in the manifest
and also the order of attributes within each section, including the main
section. The only changes Ant will make is to ensure the manifest
complies with the spec, which states:

"Manifest-Version and Signature-Version must be first, and in exactly
that case (so that they can be recognized easily as magic strings).
Other than that, the order of attributes within a main section is not
significant. "

If you use the <zip> task you should be able to put whatever you want in
the manifest, including something which is invalid. You will lose all
manifest validation logic.

>>I dont believe that code should depend on the order; its part of the
>>manifest specification. We'd only be encouraging bad practices if enabled.
>

> This is because, my client (J2ME Game publisher) is asking for this order..
> Any case why should the oder be manipulated by the jar command. Why does it
> not take the things in way it has been provided ..

You're in a little bind there since the spec specifically says that
order is not significant. Nevertheless, the code does attempt to
maintain the order of things. Can you tell us what you are seeing? A
little example?

Is it worth asking your client why they require a specific order?

Conor