ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Drop 1.2/1.3 support in Ant 1.7 (or sometime)?
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:18:01 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005, Jesse Glick <jesse.glick@sun.com> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone given thought to when we drop support for running Ant on
>>JDK 1.2/1.3? These releases are pretty old by now and AFAIK all
>>major platforms have had a decent 1.4 port for a while.
>

> We still have a customer who rejects to go beyond 1.3 right now.  I'm
> talking about a webcenter with tons of legacy Java apps (unfortunately
> none written by us).  The risk that one of them breaks is simply too
> high.
>
> I still use JDK 1.3 on my Linux box as my day-to-day JDK.
>
> These are just datapoints.  I'd have to support JDK 1.2 and this is
> certainly easier to do if your compiler is a JDK 1.2 one, which is
> easiest to do if Ant runs on JDK 1.2.  But I can achieve the same with
> 1.2 support in Ant as well.

The risk with 1.2 is that we dont have the execution environment for
regression.

> All in all I'm -0.5 on dropping JDK 1.2 for Ant 1.7 and -0.75 on
> dropping JDK 1.3 for Ant 1.7.

I'm -1 on dropping 1.3 , 0 on 1.2

what is the cost of 1.2 support? The1.1 to 1.2 transition was profound,
but things are relatively stable until the 1.4->1.5 transition, as long
as you avoid javax.security. I have 1.5 on my desktop, and regularly get
cruise control mail that I have checked in a 1.5-ism, even with language
level left at 1.4

Personally. I'd be happer dropping Win9x support :)