ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Prototype work on XML+XSL based Ant doc
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:14:16 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
>> (1) Ability to have plain HTML output - JavaHelp does not render
>> XHTML well, alas. ("<br />" is I think OK as well as "<br>", but
>> the "<?xml ...?>" tag does not get handled.)
>
> The current XSL uses output="html", so no XHTML. OTOH, doesn't
> JavaHelp use the HTML viewer from the JDK, which is limited to HTML
> 3.x? Will it support HTML 4.01 output?

Well I think it just depends on what elements and attributes you use.
AFAIK the Swing HTML renderer does an OK job on basic CSS, etc. For
purposes of something like the Ant manual it can probably render
everything we would want without problems.

>> (2) Adequate metadata in every file to construct a table of
>> contents.
>
> What kind of TOC? Most tasks/types have the same structure,
> description + attributes + elements + examples. Do we really need to
> repeat these for every task/type in a TOC?

No, just a list of tasks and types. Basically equivalent a
JavaHelp-formatted replacement for coretasklist.html etc. so that you
can use a nav tree rather than HTML frames + links to move around.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com   x22801   netbeans.org   ant.apache.org
if I had known it was harmless I would have killed it myself