ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: AW: manual with css
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:20:40 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

>>>What do people think about this?
>>>

>first look is good, some differences, but I have to look deeper into that.
>(comparing echo-css with subant)
>

>>Is eeeeee like a soft grey?
>>

>yep. RGB 000000=black FFFFFF=white
>

>>The generated docs are generated from the xdocs right?
>>

>no. Java-Sources --XDoclet--> HTML
>First shot of autogenerating the manual from the sources (somewhere in the
>proposal section)
>

>>As an aside, I'm converting the current html in docs/manual
>>to docbook format, (copying them, renaming them as foo.xml and then
>>replacing all the damn tags),
>>

>Lot of work - but with a future?

Well I'll continue doing it, as I'm really into the docbook format now,
it's just so clean!

>I dont want to keep you doing that (it seems that you like doing that :) but
>we should
>port that to a more solid base. Which means: supported by the Ant team.
>ATM the manual is written in HTML. Our vision is writing the manual inside
>the java sources
>and generate the "readable" form via XDoclet. One of the ideas was
>  *.java --XDoclet--> *.xml --Forrest--> *.html, *.pdf
>and let Forrest do creating a complete Ant manual as one pdf file using its
>aggregate facility.

Ok, XDoclet would indeed rock to extract documentation from inside the
source.  Forrest, sorry I thought that was for websites (sort of like
velocity), but I haven't studied it properly.

When I've finished (and it's not as manual as it would first appear,
although I could do with a transform html tables into docbook tabels
script), the manual will be entirely in xml which can then be converted
with a style task into html, pdf (via fop) or whatever.

>>and I'm finding more than a few unclosed
>>tags, spelling mistakes etc.
>>

>report them :-)

I'm fixing them as I transfer the html to xml, but I'm not fixing the
original html (doh!)

Kev