ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject extra diagnosis
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:36:52 GMT

oh, the coding of the diagnosis made me think of some  other things

1. have tasks provide their own diags.
Imagine a static method with each class that provides some text (like
URL for jars). Would this be accessible even if we couldnt instantiate
an instance with a NoClassDefFoundException? I think it depends on
whether there are static elements that need to have the external libs
loaded.

2. We bail out if a class has an empty ctor and it throws an exception
when we try and instantiate it (including IllegalAccessException. ). So
you could not have a task

class Foo extends Task {

private Foo() { }

public Foo(Project p) { }

}

because we'd bail out on the private constructor. Is this the right
behaviour? Should we try for a ctor(Project) first, then ctor()
signature second?

3. do we want this extra diagnosis in 'ant -diagnosis'? OR something like

ant -diagnosis taskname
to trigger a task analysis (and nothing else)

i like that latter; good for command line troubleshooting.

-steve