ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant DirectoryScanner.java
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:52:30 GMT
--- Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> > From: Matt Benson [mailto:gudnabrsam@yahoo.com]
> > --- Antoine Levy-Lambert <antoine@gmx.de> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > > Actually if an exclude pattern is like
> **/Test/**,
> > > every time a directory Test is encountered it
> should
> > > not be scanned.
> >
> > The exception to that rule is if some other
> directory
> > Test is more explicitly specified as an include; I
> > think this is handled as well as can be in
> > couldHoldIncluded().
>
> What do you mean Matt? What you just wrote sounds
> incorrect
> to me, and I believe Antoine is correct when he
> writes that
> we should stop scanning when *any* Test directory is
> seen.
>
> Excludes always win over includes (or selectors),
> even if the
> include is more specific. This is why the selectors
[SNIP]

Okay, I think you are correct... this is documented as
a nice to-do in Antoine's isMorePowerfulThanExcludes()
method.  I had to go back and reevaluate what was
going on.  That method exists AFAICT to determine
whether, for a given directory, there exists an
exclude pattern that specifically excludes everything
below that directory.  This is where the logic could
be improved to determine when a scan could be skipped
based on matching wildcards followed by the exact
directory name.  Sorry for the confusion.

-Matt