ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/net FTP.java
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:53:30 GMT
> From: Steve Loughran [mailto:stevel@apache.org]
> the reason I stuck in the task, is it lets a task add its own
> bindToOwner implementation, to do extra binding. If you put it in the
> parent, then the bound task doesnt get a look in.
>
> Make sense?

Not really ;-) Do you have any example of such a thing?

Sounds like me like it breaks encapsulation, no? A task should not have
to know whether it's used directly or not in my view.

Then again I tend to button things down tight as a habit. It always
easier to loosen things a bit later, than the reverse, especially with
Ant's BC requirements.

All that said, thanks for doing this. You're new bindToOwner() does help
encapsulation. We can now easily copy more attributes in just one place
in the future. --DD