ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.7 release timetable & features.
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:23:45 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
>>From: Steve Loughran [mailto:stevel@apache.org]
>>
>>- a way of embedding files into <propertyset>, so you can do
>
> file-based

>>way of going <propertyfile file="foo" required="true" /> into Java
>>tasks. I wrote my own element for this for the smartfrog tasks, and it
>>was v. useful. But being LGPL I can't paste it back in :(
>

> I don't understand the use case you describe Steve.
> Could you elaborate, maybe with a concrete example, for me to get it?
>

>>- <setproxy> to take a file of proxy settings; if file is absent do
>>nothing, if present read in the props (merging in ant properties) and
>>then set properties from there.
>

> I think this could be deal with using property set.

yes, but what I want to do is make it trivial to do proxy setup; so
trivial that all files do it. Alternatively

> I'd like propertyset to stay as a property selector of sort, and not go
> into the realm of actually loading or defining properties. A propertyset
> should stay has a collections of patterns to select existing properties.
> These patterns can be explicit, with the actual property name to select,
> or more dynamic with startsWith/contains/regexp.
>
> Now, if we added the ability on the property loading tasks to optionally
> add any property they load/define to a new or existing propertyset, then
> you get what you want (I think) while preserving the current nature of
> <propertyset>. Or am I missing the point? (quite possible ;-) --DD

yes, <propertyset> is probably the wrong place. But tasks that take
properties (java &c) ought to be able to be driven by a file of
properties that don't contaminate ant's own property space, and which
may or may not be optional. Here is how I use it in a custom task:

       <sf-startdaemon classpathref="run.classpath"
         logStackTraces="true" spawn="true">
           <!-- assertions are enabled -->
         <assertions enableSystemAssertions="true">
           <enable/>
         </assertions>
           <!-- load in a property file if it is present -->
         <propertyfile file="${runtime.properties}" optional="true"/>
       </sf-startdaemon>

so, if there is a file that is present it gets loaded, if not, then not.
The optional flag lets us indicate that it is an error if it is missing.

-steve