ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject 1.7 release timetable & features.
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:51:56 GMT

you know, this summer will mark the two year point since Ant 1,6.0
shipped. Which means time for Ant1.7 is nearing.

What do people think is a good release schedule/timetable?

Or to put it differently, what do people want in *and stable* before then?

Things I must have:

- <libraries> with security & docs.

- WAR/EAR <lib> option to flatten libraries pulled in. Makes it trivial
to embed <libraries> defined stuff.

Things i'd like

- a way of embedding files into <propertyset>, so you can do file-based
way of going <propertyfile file="foo" required="true" /> into Java
tasks. I wrote my own element for this for the smartfrog tasks, and it
was v. useful. But being LGPL I can't paste it back in :(

-  a way of embedding <libraries> inside a <classpath> declaration.

<java classname="org.apache.axis.monitor.TCPMon" >
   <classpath>
     <libraries >
       <library project="ws-axis" artifact="axis" version="1.2" />
     </libraries>
   </classpath>
</java>

- <setproxy> to take a file of proxy settings; if file is absent do
nothing, if present read in the props (merging in ant properties) and
then set properties from there.

- local properties in macros.

- various contributed patches that have been on bugzilla for a while and
look useful.

-http tasks in sandbox to become an antlib.

Should we be organised, build up a list of features and then either
start doing them or scrub them from the list?

-steve