ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: os.arch & java1.5
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:57:03 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>I am seeing that on (java1.5,suse9.2), os.arch==i386
>>I think this is a change from the past, where it would be x86;
>

> I guess it's your OS more than the Java VM.  What does uname -a say?

2.6.8-24.11-smp #1 SMP Fri Jan 14 13:01:26 UTC 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

>>Maybe we should look at making arch a bit more generic, like
>>"family" is?
>

> Works for me, if we add our knowledge about arch families on top of
> os.arch.  I.e. both arch="i386" and arch="x86" should work on your
> system.

something like:
8086, 80286,  i?86, x86

There is a risk we are vulnerable to making the wrong guess, a bit like
that time that Java1.4 added explicit knowledge of WinXP and some things
that guessed the OS broke. Things that mattered like <property
environment>, as I recall :(

-steve