ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: excludesfile must exist?
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:58:03 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2005, at 3:29 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't been in the internals of Ant for a while, my apologies.
>>> I recall this coming up before.... any objections to changing how
>>> <fileset> handles excludesfile (and I'm assuming includesfile)
>>> such that existence of the file is not mandatory?
>>
>> Your usecase is exactly why we've added if/unless to the nested
>> elements.  This and the fear of breaking BWC since some builds
>> actually rely on the current behavior.
>
> Ah, the age-old BWC anchor tied around our ankles.  *sigh*

Actually, on second thought, there is more to this.

Remember that fileset default to includes="**" and no excludes.  Now
consider

<delete>
  <fileset dir="extremely-important-files"
           includesfile="some-not-so-important-files"/>
</delete>

If some-not-so-important-files isn't there, Ant will barf now.  I
guess most people prefer this over having Ant delete all files in the
extremely-important-files directory instead.

Stefan