ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: <libraries>
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:00:37 GMT
Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Nicola Ken Barozzi <> wrote:
>>Matt Benson wrote:
>>>I think we've had requests for automatic <import>
>>>invocations as well, while we're talking about
>>>automatic stuff...
>>I don't understand, could you please explain a bit
>>more in detail?
> The most obvious use for automatic <import>s would be
> to auto-[type|task]def things for use in the default
> namespace.  This use is arguable as to need; I'm sure
> this would address other situations but just now I
> don't remember what those are.  ;)

The most important thing IMHO is that antlibs (which are the modern-day
type-task-defs) can be automatically downloaded and used just by
referencing them. This is a subsequent step after <libraries>.

Having them in the default namespace is IMHO not ok, as it can create
unnecessary collisions.

> Another thing I would like to see is the ability to
> add directories to Ant's classpath (without using
> CLASSPATH) so that antlibs could live as standalone
> XML files in the case where an antlib, for example,
> consists only of macrodefs and presetdefs and refers
> to no extra-Ant classes.

Well, you just need support for non-jarred antlibs.

It seems to me that automatic <import> opens more problems than it
solves, especially when these can be solved better on their own...

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: