ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <libraries>
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:58:55 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Steve Loughran wrote:
>>> License is useful, pom may be useful in future...
>>
>> Do you have a specific idea on this? :->
>
> Not yet, no. But it might be useful to start collecting them.

IMHO it's about defaults.

A simple project always has the same properties in the build file, and
Maven has collected them in an xml file and an object model.

Ant usually uses properties, so we could think that it could make sense
if Ant had an analogous definition of common properties.

Ant tasks could have each a typedef that uses these default values for
auto configuration.

So for a simple project one could just make a property file with these
properties, and call the typedeffed tasks.

Instead of doing:

build.properties
   src= whatever
   build= whatever

build.xml
   <project>
     <property file="build.properties "/>
     <javac srcdir="${src}"
            destdir="${build}"
            fork="yes"
     />
   </project>

One would have:

project.properties
   ant.project.src.dir= whatever
   ant.project.build.dir = whatever
   ant.task.javac.fork = yes

build.xml
   <project>
     <project:javac/>
   </project>

This is why I asked if IYO the pom is useful, as IMHO there could be a
pomproperty task that loads these properties from a pom... is this
similar to what you had in mind?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -