ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: <libraries>
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:35:16 GMT
> From: Matt Benson [mailto:gudnabrsam@yahoo.com]
> The most obvious use for automatic <import>s would be
> to auto-[type|task]def things for use in the default
> namespace.  This use is arguable as to need; I'm sure
> this would address other situations but just now I
> don't remember what those are.  ;)
>
> Another thing I would like to see is the ability to
> add directories to Ant's classpath (without using
> CLASSPATH) so that antlibs could live as standalone
> XML files in the case where an antlib, for example,
> consists only of macrodefs and presetdefs and refers
> to no extra-Ant classes.

Please remember to allow to turn OFF all this automatic
stuff! When one has a standard Ant distrib under CM
control with only official stuff in it, one doesn't want
to pick up arbitrary stuff from all over the place.
(From the mailing list, a usual practice in Ant land)

Lots of automagic stuff is a recipe for support headaches
when a build starts behaving strange on some machine or
for some users. We've been burnt enough on Linux with the
out of date /etc/ant stuff there. I finally had to change
ant/bin/ant to make no_config default to true to
end the nightmare!

One of the virtue of Ant IMHO is that everything is spelled
out clearly and explicitly, so I'm not a big fan of doing a
lot of things automatically (in case I didn't make that
clear already ;-) I'd be more in favor of forcing users to
turn these things ON explicitly rather than the reverse.

--DD