ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: <clone> or file collections
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:47:17 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
> I'm not really sure what the task is going to be used for, that's
> probably my biggest problem with it.  Why do we need it?

Yep. My thoughts exactly.

> The problem Bug 32631 talks about could better be solved by tasks that
> perform set operations.  Right now our best file collection is path
> and it would be rather easy to have
>
> <intersect targetid="new-path">
>   <path refid="path1"/>
>   <path refid="path2"/>
> </intersect>
>
> as a task that creates a new path based on the intersection of two
> others.  Set unions are already possible for <path>.  Set minus should
> be as easy to implement as intersections.

That would be abusing Path IMHO. I know Peter has used Path as the
primary datatype for some of his excellent Ant-Contrib tasks, but
Path is supposed to be an *ordered* collection of arbitrary file and/or
directories, some possibly not existing.

This is quite different as a collection of arbitrary files.

> Maybe we really need to
> finally tackle a generic file collection approach that unifies
> fileset, path and filelist (possibly path is that already?) and have
> tasks that work on those collections.

Yes, I believe it's high time for this. --DD