ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Avoiding logging loops
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:57:50 GMT

At 05:02 PM 1/11/2005, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>It might be better to state somewhere that BuildListeners are not
>allowed to create any output during messageLogged and keep the code as
>is - and modify Log4jListener which I've never looked into myself.
>
>Ceki, is there any way Log4jListener can avoid the output?  Probably
>not since it tries to pick the "correct" logger at runtime.

Hello Stefan,

Log4jListener tries to use the most suitable logger depending on the
contents of BuildEvent. When it has determined the most suitable
logger name, it invokes

  Logger.getLogger("most suitable name");

In log4j version 1.3alpha output on the console is generated
by every call to Logger.getLogger. I can't think of anything reasonable
Log4jListener can do to prevent this or dance around it. Moreover,
this idiosyncrasy might even survive, in one form or another, in
log4j 1.3final.

The hypothesis of all listeners being able to avoid accessing the
console from within the messageLogged(event) method is not verified in
this case. I understand your reluctance to change the code. At this
stage, log4j's behavior might seem quite strange but at least you
should be aware that such eccentricity exists.

Best regards,

--
Ceki Gülcü