ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Proposal
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:40:52 GMT
Hi,

I'm working on a project right now with real neophyte developers, and
one of the things I'm constantly having to do is to unset classpaths.

They keep installing crappy software that sets a classpath variable
(Oracle client being the main culprit here) and then when they use the
project build file, it falls over because of alien jars on the classpath
(not Ant's fault or anything).

I'm sure that this is a commonplace occurence, so I propose the following...

On the website (ant.apache.org), in bold letters across the front page

"PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF $DEITY, UNSET YOUR CLASSPATH BEFORE RUNNING ANT!!"

or if not on the front page, at least in the manual section.  I'm even
willing to add the documentation to the xdocs or html

Also I think it'd be a good idea to print this out when simply typing
"ant" at the command line - not just "build.xml does not exist"

Sorry, rant off

Kev