ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Fuller <jful...@ruminate.co.uk>
Subject Re: How to supress output
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:22:13 GMT
Anderson, Rob (Global Trade) wrote:

>>>I have ClearCase. I can test it. Although I am not a
>>>

>>committer, I have contributed tasks and bug fixes. I was a
>>little surprised by Steve Loughran's response to the bug report.
>>

>>>Steve, Question: Does developer = committer ? Since the
>>>

>>project is open source, isn't anyone who contributes to the
>>code a developer?
>>

>>>-Rob Anderson
>>>

>>Sorry, yes, I am duly chastised. forgive me!
>>

>No worries :)
>

>>I guess I suffer from pent ill will to clearcase, as it is
>>the only SCM
>>system I am actually scared of. VSS I dont regard as real
>>SCM, but when
>>ClearCase starts playing up, your project can lose days of
>>time, leading
>>to the "get the virgin to sacrifice a goat" conversation with
>>management
>>(we needed the virgin so if the goat sacrifice doesnt cut it,
>>we had an
>>escalation policy). Or in my case, by cross mounting my PC's CC share
>>from somebody elses system to get back at the data that CC
>>decided I was
>>unworthy of seeing.
>>
>>-steve
>>

>Clearcase can be a real pain in ass. An ample supply of goats an virgins never hurts :)

not to mention that the clearcase tasks in ant seem to be showing their
age....of course they are just a cleartool wrapper; I find  wrapping
them up in macrodefs breathes new life into them.

there is no problem with clearcase if you are working from the SCM admin
point of view...though these big battleship type technologies seem to
hinder more then help; subversion or bitkeeper are great...but
admittedly do not generate the reporting artifacts needed in enterprise
development.

JF

note: also if you are using something like Websphere...then there is
little alternate option