ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: local properties
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 03:14:07 GMT

>>I can do that.
>>Is "define" a good name ?
>>

>Here's one vote for "my". Everyone in the programming
>community would get that as a scoped entity immediately.

I know that we already have global properties and that this is looking
at local properties, but could we no tlook further forward (towards
Ant2) and try this...

<define name="foo" scope="local"/>

<define name="bar" scope="global"/>

adding a scope parameter wouldn't be much use now, but for later on we
could roll properties and local properties together with this strategy.
Maybe people want to stick with properties because it's very well known
and expressive, but then with local properties there's a semantic difference

global properties = <property/>
local properties = <define/>

I'd prefer some kind of similarity between the naming of the two types,
just out of neatness

Kev