ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Reilly <peterrei...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <clone> or file collections
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:01:35 GMT
Matt Benson wrote:

>--- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>[SNIP, re clone task:]
>

>>Maybe I just don't understand how useful it is?
>>

>Usefulness would depend on the class being cloned and
>what the user chose to do with it.  It's almost (to my
>thinking) along the lines of the Nice or Parallel
>tasks in that it provides a basic and open-ended Ant
>way to use a Java feature.  It just happened that AFS
>clones can be modified in basically the way one would
>expect/hope for.  A clone of an object of some other
>type might not be so accommodating.  The
>open-endedness of the task might allow a user to
>become frustrated by the misbehavior of a cloned
>object; at the same time the task doesn't seem to
>represent any hidden dangers of a nature worse than,
>say, Delete (lesson:  test your build files before
>assuming they will do what you want).
>In any event, this task has generated some nervousness
>or distaste, and I must guess that if put to a vote it
>will not pass (according to the bylaws re code
>changes).  The greatest part of my attachment to the
>task is the research into the UE system it represents
>for me, but I'm sure that knowledge will not be
>wasted.  On that subject, Peter expressed concern over
>Clone's implementation mechanism as well (UE subclass)
>but has not yet responded to my followup questions
>(did you miss them, Peter?).

I just noticed the interface idea. I do not really understand this, Clone
will still extend UE yes?.

The Clone implementation is really clever, I am just concerned that
there may be issues as it does extend UE. There are a number
of places in the code that check if objects are instance of UE -
Project.java, PresetDef.java and others and implement different code if
the object is an instance of UE.

Peter