ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <clone> or file collections
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:15:02 GMT
--- Peter Reilly <peterreilly@apache.org> wrote:
[SNIP]
> I just noticed the interface idea. I do not really
> understand this, Clone
> will still extend UE yes?.
>
> The Clone implementation is really clever, I am just
> concerned that
> there may be issues as it does extend UE. There are
> a number
> of places in the code that check if objects are
> instance of UE -
> Project.java, PresetDef.java and others and
> implement different code if
> the object is an instance of UE.

To go back to the code, I mainly inherited from UE as
a "spirit" thing and b/c makeObject was there and
generic.  So the interface suggestion was to make UE
implement some e.g. ProxyElement interface that
declares makeObject(), have Clone implement the same
interface and method, then change the "if UE" block in
UE.makeObject() to "if ProxyElement".  I feel a little
weird about making existing methods satisfy the
contract of new interfaces, but I don't think it
breaks anything.

-Matt