ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <libraries>& cache
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:40:09 GMT
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:

> Also, any requests from the client to access the resources in
> WEB-INF/ directory must be returned with a SC_NOT_FOUND(404)
> response."

"client" being a user of the web application, not code running in the
application here.  It is absolutely legal to use
ServletContext#getResource[AsStream] for stuff in /WEB-INF.

> "Web containers must also be able to recognize declared dependencies
> expressed in the manifest entry of any of the library JARs under the
> WEB-INF/lib entry in a WAR."

Which could say "Class-Path: some/sub/dir/foo.jar".

> So it is ambiguous, at least to me (one part says "in" another says
> "under"), whether a hierarchy under WEB-INF/lib is kosher or not.

I don't see anything ambiguos.  You can have a hierarchy but the web
app classloader is supposed to load the jars of the "top-level lib"
dir - and their declared Class-Path dependencies.  What else you do
with the hierarchy is up to you.

> On Dec 5, 2004, at 6:23 PM, Russell Gold wrote:
>>  It would be entirely consistent to extend its use to the
>> <lib> subtask (which essentially does a copy in any case). Cake and
>> eat it, too.
>
> <lib> is not a subtask, per se.  It is a fileset datatype.  The
> difference currently is that datatypes don't "do" anything, but
> contain data that tasks use.

That's why I've always been against adding mapper as nested element to
fileset.  We should rather have a more generic mapper in <zip> and
friends, the you could chain a flatten mapper with a glob mapper that
adds WEB-INF/lib/ to the front and would be done.

Stefan