ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Define common project properties and tasks
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:55:44 GMT
Jesse Glick wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>> While I agree that there is some commonality across many Java
>>> projects (in that Java has a packaging mechanism that utilizes
>>> directories etc. and that these projects commonly produce one or
>>> more JAR files) it seems to me that this approach would either be
>>> too restrictive on the type of project that could utilize it or
>>> that so much customization would be required as to negate the
>>> usefulness of it.
>>
>> Netbeans thinks otherwise, and in fact *does* include a basic build.
>> All IDEs have their layout, and tons of projects have used it without
>> customizations.
>
> So my $0.02: NetBeans 4.0 does have a basic prepackaged project type
> (incl. Ant script and *.properties) with a fixed structure suitable for
> many simple projects. It certainly does not try to please everyone, and
> in fact people file RFEs constantly asking for more features and
> configurable options, which cannot all be satisfied. For this reason,
> the IDE also supports using an arbitrary Ant script for a project (so
> long as some basic information is given for refactoring etc. to work).
> Without that feature, I think it would be useless for anyone working in
> a big organization with a complex setup, or even for a number of smaller
> projects.

I agree. My take is that about helping basic projects, not to be a one
stop solution to all build needs.

In any case, Phil's objections and comments are very detailed and
appropriate, and I feel I have to reply in the same well thought manner.
I'll do some more thinking, some hacking, and I'll come back when I have
something to show.

Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -