ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Define common project properties and tasks
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:05:53 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> While I agree that there is some commonality across many Java
>> projects (in that Java has a packaging mechanism that utilizes
>> directories etc. and that these projects commonly produce one or
>> more JAR files) it seems to me that this approach would either be
>> too restrictive on the type of project that could utilize it or
>> that so much customization would be required as to negate the
>> usefulness of it.
>
> Netbeans thinks otherwise, and in fact *does* include a basic build.
> All IDEs have their layout, and tons of projects have used it without
> customizations.

So my $0.02: NetBeans 4.0 does have a basic prepackaged project type
(incl. Ant script and *.properties) with a fixed structure suitable for
many simple projects. It certainly does not try to please everyone, and
in fact people file RFEs constantly asking for more features and
configurable options, which cannot all be satisfied. For this reason,
the IDE also supports using an arbitrary Ant script for a project (so
long as some basic information is given for refactoring etc. to work).
Without that feature, I think it would be useless for anyone working in
a big organization with a complex setup, or even for a number of smaller
projects.

-J.

--
Jesse Glick <mailto:jesse.glick@sun.com> x22801