ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Weighill-Smith" <phil.weighill-sm...@volantis.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Define common project properties and tasks
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:19:27 GMT
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but have you considered...

It seems to me that there are as many completely different ways of using Ant as there are
projects in this world. If you were to supply a "standard" build script, ready for customization,
what input file structure would it expect? What language would be compiled (if any)? What
distribution structure should be created and what files should be used to populate it? What
configuration control system should be accessed to obtain the "input files" (if any)? What
common properties would exist? etc.

While I agree that there is some commonality across many Java projects (in that Java has a
packaging mechanism that utilizes directories etc. and that these projects commonly produce
one or more JAR files) it seems to me that this approach would either be too restrictive on
the type of project that could utilize it or that so much customization would be required
as to negate the usefulness of it.

Perhaps better to provide some more sophisticated example build scripts covering the use of
Ant on client side and server (multi-JAR) Java projects (and other languages if any contributions
could be taken for these). I'd especially like to see examples that:

*	split the build into several sections (perhaps using subant) in order to generate multiple,
"tree dependent" JARs (i.e. one JAR depends on another but there are no cyclic dependencies)
*	utilize something like XSLT to generate Ant scripts from simple XML files that define the
inter-dependencies within such a multi-part build
*	use a repository accessor (along the lines of the "get libraries" stuff that has recently
been discussed a lot on this list) to obtain dependency JARs from other projects