ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: About <macrodef> in the trenches
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:58:45 GMT
Thanks for the feedback Peter. I'll be off line most of Dec, so for now I'll just attach my
modified MacroDef/Instance files in bugzilla until I can properly try to integrate it to Ant
(it's not very tested yet, and not unit tested at all either). I worked off the 1.6 branch
anyway, and this would need to happen in the HEAD I guess, no?

About (1), you're right. I used my <bm:sequential> which is more like <xsl:if>
than <ac:if>, because it has no <then> or <else> block. 90% of the time,
I don't need if/then/else, just if. I find having conditions on <sequential> very natural
and the Ant way ;-)

(2) I initialy thought about putting it in the declaration, but I didn't think I could pull
it off. And after using it, I thought it was easier to read the macro code with the defaults
inside the macro impl instead of in the element declaration.

(3) I agree it requires to get used to, but for the client code actually looks more 'normal'
and task-like. Like (4), one doesn't have to use it.

(4) Again, it's a question of reuse. I don't deny using @{attr} in the macro instance looks
strange, but I did naturally try to use it with the regular Ant <macrodef> to learn
it didn't work. I wanted to avoid duplicate some info I had already entered in a macro attribute.
I'd say it's a nice to have thing, and one doesn't have to use it.

BTW, after droping this code in my Antlib, my checkstyle Javadocs error count jumped from
0 to 35 ;-) I'll try to fix this too. (I have a checkstyle config for Javadocs only). --DD