ant-dev mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <>
Subject Re: <libraries>& cache
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:23:03 GMT
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 06:57:09 -0500, Erik Hatcher
<> wrote:
> I can't think of any sound reasons for preserving hierarchy in
> WEB-INF/lib.

Some vendors, especially of commercial software, choose to distribute
their products as multiple jars. And some of them attempt to identify
"primary" vs. "subordinate" jars through a hierarchy. Those jars then
know about their relative locations and depend on them in their
manifest classpaths. If you arbitrarily flatten your hierarchies you
will get ClassNotFound exceptions in such cases.
> I would very much like to see the <lib> element flatten, or some way to
> flatten any arbitrary fileset.  I end up doing a <copy> to flatten a
> hierarchical directory before using <lib>, which is sub-optimal.

Ant already has a concept of a mapper type, typically used for copy
operations. It would be entirely consistent to extend its use to the
<lib> subtask (which essentially does a copy in any case). Cake and
eat it, too.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message