ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs checksum.xml
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:08:12 GMT
If this is related to MD5 checksums, they've recently been proven to not
be conclusive proof that the content of the file is the same as the
checksum, ie two different files can create the same checksum under
certain conditions.

Not sure if this is relevant to the discussion

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/07/2019244&tid=93&tid=172&tid=8

"/we can create 'doppelganger' blocks (my term) anywhere inside a file
that may be swapped out, one for another, without altering the final MD5
hash. This lets us create any number of binary-inequal files with the
same md5sum. But MD5 uses an appendable cascade construction -- in other
words, if you happen to find yourself with two files that MD5 to the
same hash, an arbitrary payload can be applied to both files and they'll
still have the same hash."/