ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] style of UpToDate
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:19:13 GMT
Peter Reilly wrote:

> Kevin Jackson wrote:
>
>> Just removed the C++ style private variables
>

> cool, but...
>  1) why place a "final" in the arguments
>  2) you should only use the "this." in the setter

1) I was reading hardcore java - www.oreilly.com/catalog/*hardcore*jv/

The arguments made in favour of declaring variables to methods as final
far outweighed (in my mind), the hassle of typing a few extra
characters.  The chapter on final being used in this (and a variety of
other manners) is available as a pdf and I thoroughly recommend reading
it, just to see what you think, but I couldn't disagree with his reasoning.

2) yeah, sorry, I got carried away I think - in other methods there
should be no need to use this - doh!

The main reason I did this was that I've been trying to contribute for
the last few days and I haven't found anything that I felt I had the
time to start on and this looked like a quick contribution,

Kev