ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <>
Subject Re: final keyword WAS [Patch] style of UpToDate
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:30:45 GMT
--- Phil Weighill-Smith
<> wrote:

> I personally think the use of "final" for method
> parameters is "a good
> thing" - it reminds me of that great C++ feature
> "const" (which was
> actually far more sophisticated and useful, and
> strangely is a Java
> reserved keyword).

I read the sample chapter Kevin pointed out, and I
understood the points made.  But if you look at the
issue from a different perspective, the basic
take-away message is that "final" should be used as a
crutch.  The obvious response to that statement is
then "what's wrong with that?"  Nothing, I suppose,
but there is unit testing to help avoid the kinds of
mistakes warned against in the chapter.  I suppose
it's all a matter of taste.  The
compiler-optimization-based conditional compilation
was interesting, but personally I would rather be able
to throw switches without touching java code.

> Phil :n.

Do you Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: